Donate Your Time
Volunteers at the San Diego Rescue Mission are some of the warmest, kindest, most generous people we know.
Our volunteers provide valuable services to our clients. In return they receive the satisfaction of knowing they are personally helping homeless and poor people create positive, lasting change in their lives.
Please note that we are unable at this time to work with court-mandated volunteers.
Due to insurance restrictions, volunteers must be age 16 and older. Are you part of a youth group under this age? We welcome your help with donation drives for urgently needed material items and are very happy to provide a tour of the Mission so you can find out more about our work.
Volunteers Needed to Help with Outreach for Holiday Meals November 23 and December 21
Volunteers (individuals and groups) needed to help with outreach for our holiday meals on Saturday AM November 23 and December 21. The shift is from 8AM – 10AM. We gather at the Mission at 8AM, receive a quick training, divide into groups to walk the streets of downtown or Balboa Park and invite the homeless to our holiday meal later that day.
We do not need any help with food service for either meal, due to the generosity of many volunteers who have already registered!
Groups (corporate, church, school and others) are always welcome to help with our meal service, assisting in the warehouse, and “deep-cleaning” our emergency shelter. Please call 619.819.1897 for other ideas or to schedule a specific date.
- Groups of 6-8 are welcome to serve lunch or dinner here on site.
- Weekday groups of 10 individuals for deep cleaning or sorting projects in the Mission.
- Larger groups can schedule weekday morning shifts in our warehouse.
Not able to start volunteering immediately? Host a Drive (Urgent Needs, Food, or Hygiene Kits): You can hold a drive and collect needed items at your school, church, place of employment, community center, or neighborhoods-it’s an easy and very significant way to support the Rescue Mission! Thank you for doing your part to help the men, women and children here at the Mission.
Volunteer Process for Individuals
All volunteers, with the exception of those participating in a special event or one-time group volunteer opportunity MUST attend a volunteer orientation and submit an application and go through an on-line background check process at an $18 cost to the individual. Orientations are held every-other month. The next orientation is in November. For non-food service opportunities we ask a 3-6 month commitment, interview, orientation, application and background check. Please call the Volunteer Coordinator to start the process.
Due to the large interest in our volunteer program, volunteer needs and opportunities change monthly and may include:
Potential Shifts: Three shifts available daily: 10:45 am-12:00 pm and 3:45 pm-5:00 pm in the men’s center; 11:30-12:30 and 4:00-5:00 in the women’s center. Emergency shelter: 6:30-7:30
- Administrative Assistant: once a week help with copies, shredding, etc.
- PC-1000 instructor: teach a 16 week drug course. Curriculum provided. Once a week. Various day and early evening weekday times available.
Recuperative Care Unit (RCU)
- Activity coordinator: someone energetic and outgoing who would enjoy planning simple games, crafts, or activities appropriate for adults and encouraging clients to get involved. This would be once a week (or less often) for 1-2 hours. M-F only, anytime day or evening
- Administrative Help